Solutions for Waterproofing
Bentonite is a clay that has hydroexpansion properties, that is, it has the capacity to absorb water increasing its volume. Reference example: Sponge.
As it absorbs water, the bentonite expands until it reaches the maximum expansion pressure and then, being confined, it compacts and becomes an impermeable barrier.
This clay, combined with different polymers, offers a system of membranes and waterproofing joints of very easy installation.
These systems are double waterproofing since they have 2 barriers for the passage of water:
• Physical barrier of HDPE sheet (high density polyethylene)
• Bentonite barrier
Bentonite technology is commonly used in new constructions.
It is efficient to waterproof buried structures subjected to the effective water pressure.
Waterproofing in Civil Engineering and Hydraulic Works:
• Underground parking
• Bases of foundations and retaining walls
• Inground pools, water collection sinks, lagoons
• Gas pipes
• Road, rail and subway tunnels
• Inspection chambers
• Elevator pits
• In places where industrial by-products are stored
• At fuel stations
• In transformation and service industries
The main benefits of this technology are:
• Double waterproofing system (HDPE + bentonite)
• Easy to install, free of installation errors
• Applicable in contact with fresh or dry concrete. Also, on masonry. No need for particular surface preparation
• Practical placement with hammer, nail gun or stapler
• Self-sealing against eventual breaks due to the expansion property of the bentonite
• Applicable on wood or metal
• Usable in a wide range of temperatures
• Non-toxic products
• Resistance to chemical attacks and breakage. High performance to prevent the infiltration of liquid and gaseous hydrocarbons. Usable in conflicting areas with high saline, alkaline or high acidity levels
• Excellent resistance to water runoff on the membrane
• Long lasting, useful life over 100 years
• Easy to store in warehouses and on site, due to the plastic protection that surrounds the product.